Sunday, June 28, 2009

Is there baseball in Heaven?



“Do you think there will be baseball games in Heaven?” I asked my husband over dinner.

“I don’t know.”

”I’m just postulating. What do you think?”

“I thought Heaven was an unknown,” he answered.

I was thinking about my Poppop. My father-in-law said he would miss him because he was so much fun and always made people laugh. I wondered if he was making God laugh up there.

I pictured him with a whole bunch of guys around him, all laughing at his stories. His dog Penny would be there, of course, along with a whole bunch of other dogs, because he loved dogs and they loved him back.

Then I saw my daughter in her Marlins shirt and thought of how he liked to watch the Marlins play the Mets, because he lived in Florida but was born a New Yorker. That made me wonder if they watch our games from up there, and perhaps play their own.

There’s no crying in baseball, my husband always tells my son, and there are no tears in Heaven either. So maybe they do play. And both sides always win.

Hebrews
Chapter 12

1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us
2
while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.

1 comment:

Nod said...

A friend of mine says that of course there is baseball in Heaven.

Haven't you read in Genesis where it says: "In the Big Inning when God created the heavens and the earth..." and then later in the book of Numbers where it reads that "No one gathered less than ten homers"? (Num 11:32)