Thursday, May 7, 2009

Light as a Feather



I actually had a really nice day in the middle of the week that really turned things around for me. As you can gather from my recent posts, I have been caught up in a whirlwind of activity, wherein all my brain power seems to be focused on the “what now” and “what’s next”. From waking until midnight, I have only sat down for meals.

On Wednesday morning, I was worried about a certain problem and suddenly felt like the Holy Spirit was inspiring me with the solution to it. I was doing dishes at the time, and looking out the window I saw what looked like a diamond glistening up high in a tree. It had been raining all night, and the sun was just coming out to play, so this was probably just a group of raindrops sitting on leaf, reflecting the sunlight. No matter the scientific explanation for it (natural law is God’s law, after all), I really felt like it was a sign meant for me.

The whole rest of the day went so well and I wasn't worried about anything anymore. The kids were home early from a half day for teachers’ conferences. They finished their science fair projects, which was a big load off my mind! I looked around the house and could see order and cleanliness had been largely restored. I will never be satisfied with the level of cleanliness of my house, but have to accept that children live here, and it should not look like a museum. I started to envision where I would place fresh flowers, and realized that meant I was “almost there”.

That night we had two softball games, so the schedule was busy, but I no longer felt harried. The report said we might have thunderstorms the day of the Communion, but that no longer bothered me. I truly felt light as a feather!

Today I spent the baby’s nap time mowing the front lawn. I used to really love mowing the lawn, but my husband took over this chore after I became pregnant with our second daughter (we moved here right before the birth of our first daughter). It has been raining so much that he could not mow it last weekend, and he would not have time to do the whole four-hour chore of doing both the front and back by Saturday.

It was a new mower that I had never used before. I had a problem getting it started and called my husband. He asked if I had pressed the primer button. “The what?” He described it. “You should have told me there was a magic button!” He also said there was another rip cord for automatic propulsion. I couldn’t find it, and said I didn’t need it.

I got it started and could not believe how hard it was to push this thing! I got the first half done, taking three breaks for water and spoonfuls of yogurt. I was huffing and sweating. To turn the mower around and push it up a slight incline I had to push with all my might off the street. I used the angled cutting style my Dad had taught me, so that the grass meets the house at a 45-degree angle. I was pleased with the overall effect.

Then I found the thing I had to press for automatic propulsion and the second half went like the wind. I couldn’t believe I had put so much effort in for no reason! It really is just like the way I do most things, though. I act like the hardest way must be the best way, just because it is difficult. And it is not always so.

I thought of how my day went so much easier just after having a little talk with God. It was like the automatic propulsion on my lawn mower.

I’ll leave you with that thought. I may not be able to post much over the next several days, but as soon as possible I will have a thorough update on our Communion weekend.

God bless you and thank you for reading!

"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Matthew 11:28-30 (NAB)

2 comments:

Putz said...

thank you for listening to me...when health problems come, the first impulse is to do less, but even people like me have a propulsion button at hand to zip us alone faster and better and DO MORE...we justs have to pray that that can happen

Loren said...

This post is very uplifting, Elizabeth. THanks for sharing it!