Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Merry Heart: This Mommy is so Gullible!

I had a beautiful time yesterday, doing Easter errands on a lovely day with my toddler in tow. The one thing I hate about driving with her is that I have to keep her in the backseat, where I cannot frequently look at her. It was worse when she was under one year and had to face backwards. Now, at every red light I look back and we exchange smiles.

During the silent drive, I thought of a funny incident from the night before.

My nine-year-old daughter is a dreamer with quite an original sense of humor, colored by the depth of her imaginative abilities. While she was making lunch the other evening, she said, “We had a new substitute teacher today.”

“Oh?” I asked.

My husband sat at the table silently, doing a crossword puzzle.

“Her name is Mrs. Cowshack.”

(I am changing the names slightly for this story.)

My older daughter added, “Not Mrs. Koshak – this is a different one.”

“You’re kidding, right?” I asked.

“No,” said my nine-year-old, “This one has short, curly, blonde hair, and she always wears a dress. Today it had a really poofy skirt.”

“Oh,” I said, “How interesting.”

“Do you believe me?” she asked.

“Of course,” I answered, seriously.

“I was just kidding! It was just Mrs. Koshak.”

The girls burst into giggles, and my husband let out a loud guffaw. I had to laugh, myself.

I always believe my children. I never lie to them – not even about light matters such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. I believe that by being honest with them truth will be embedded in their souls and they will return the favor by being honest with me.

But this was intended to be a joke – on me.

What is it about tricking one’s parents that gives kids such a thrill?

Or catching us in a mistake, usually one of verbal wordage.

I think, especially in more authoritative homes, where Mommies and Daddies are respected as Knowing Everything, it gives them a welcome break from being the low people on the totem pole of Knowledge.

As I recalled the scene, I laughed so hard that tears came down my cheeks.

I moved my rearview mirror to catch another glimpse of my littlest one.

She may be the littlest, but certaintly not the least.

“Laughter is the heart’s best medicine.”
Proverbs 17:22a

Drawing above:
James Tissot, 1896-1900, David Dancing Before the Ark

No comments: