Friday, December 5, 2008

Elizabeth’s Rice with Spinach

This is a great way to get some fresh spinach into a dish. Small families will need one cup of rice with two cups of water. My family needs two cups of rice with four cups of water. In a large pot, add some salt. Bring to a simmer. Put large bag of washed spinach on top of the water and cover. Lower heat to its lowest setting, so that water continues to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid to test the rice – this will release steam and interfere with its proper cooking. Only when the timer goes off should you test it. The rice should be puffy but with a slight bite. Not crispy. It should have absorbed all of the water. If it has not, you have another 5 minutes to go. When rice is done, remove from heat, fluff with a fork and recover for 5 minutes to let the steam continue its work on perfecting your rice.

2 comments:

Loren said...

You're giving me really good ideas...Here's a challenge for you: how can I camoflage spinach?

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get. My kids might scowl at this so I do let them serve themselves, so that they get the least amount of spinach possible, but the vitamins and minerals are still soaked up into the rest of the dish! I like Barilla's Tri-Color Pasta. I think that has real vegetables in it. I guess you can make homemade pasta with ground up spinach in it to make it look green; tomatoes for the red/orange pasta. Call it Christmas pasta.