Monday, October 13, 2008

My Own Personal Rainbow

“I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.”
Genesis 9:13


Over the weekend, the History Channel had a special about the end of times. Since the time of Jesus, people have been reading into their own modern times and seeing the end as drawing near. The current financial crisis has made many fearful, and putting our troubles into the hands of big government yet again seems to draw us nearer to that end. On Saturday, the paper read, “Can the G7 Save Us?”

Happily, the History Channel ended with a scripture that my mother-in-law had quoted to me just last week: “But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”(Mark 13:32)

Then the Sunday readings spoke of God’s grace that will provide, and dealing with times of lean and times of plenty.

Philippians 4: 12 - 14, 19 – 20
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want.
13 I can do all things in him who strengthens me.
14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.
19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Everyone feels the economic crunch on some level, no matter what their tax bracket. God promises to provide for our basic needs, and to give us the grace to deal with times of difficulty.

But then comes a promise of plenty for those who have faith in end times. Here I think is a scripture to give us hope, rather than fear, if we should live to see the Day of Judgment.

Isaiah 25: 6 - 10
6 On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of fat things, a feast of wine on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wine on the lees well refined.
7 And he will destroy on this mountain the covering that is cast over all peoples, the veil that is spread over all nations.
8 He will swallow up death for ever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken.
9 It will be said on that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."
10 For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain, and Moab shall be trodden down in his place, as straw is trodden down in a dung-pit.


This rainbow appeared directly above my house today, making me lean toward dwelling on the promises of a kind and merciful God.

No comments: