Saturday, October 20, 2007

College for Kids

My fourth-grader was at St. Joseph’s College for a language arts class this morning. It just so happened that the school was hosting “Make a Difference Day”, a free event for kids. All of the clubs had tables with games, crafts, and junk food for the kids. It was the first such fair I have been to in a really long time in which everything was truly FREE.

We had not planned on staying past the end of my daughter’s class, but there was so much to do that I decided to suspend my usual strict naptime for the baby. There was a magic show and a wonderful Double Dutch demonstration, both of which had my girls talking for hours. Mostly they came away with a very positive image of college.

Previously, I think my children had this mysterious, awe-stricken view of “college”. Where was this place, why were we saving money for it, and who went there? The lovely undergraduates who volunteered today showed them that nice, friendly, good, and normal young people frequent the place, a suburban commuter campus with a clean, no-fuss atmosphere.

It also made me more at peace with the whole idea of college, which is only six years away for my eldest. Being there really took me back to my freshman year at St. John’s University, also a Catholic commuter college with a similar environment. My friend commented, “The kids look so young, I thought they were high schoolers!” It really was not that long ago I was one of them, and I am reminded of the fresh idealistic spirit characteristic of the age. Together I think we can all look forward to this time, not with anxiety, but with an optimistic and excited outlook.

“Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.”
Psalms 37:5

*************************************************************
Action is urgently needed to remedy a wrong on another Catholic College Campus. Please read the letter below:

“Do I need to tell you why abortion is wrong? Probably not…
But you see, moral relativism just hit a new low at Holy Cross, a Catholic college that rented its conference center to a pro-abortion group called Alliance on Teen Pregnancy. Unless canceled, the convention will be on October 24.
Sign your protest – urgently
According to press reports…
· Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America will conduct workshops during the event at Holy Cross
· Speakers will promote contraceptive methods for teenagers that are contrary to the moral teaching of the Catholic Church.
Read more.
Good news: Bishop Robert J. McManus of the Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts, issued a firm statement on October 10 urging college president Father Michael C. McFarland to cancel the event.
I am asking you to join the protest today. Then make a polite but firm phone call to…
Fr. Michael C. McFarland, S. J.
Phone: 508-793-2525
And please forward this email to all of your friends. There is strength in numbers. And Catholic education is a cause much too noble for us to remain silent.
Thank you very, very much and may God bless you!
Your friend,
John E. Ritchie
TFP Student Action Director”

1 comment:

John Ritchie said...

Thank you for this post. Catholic parents like to know which colleges to avoid when planning for their children... and unfortunately, the College of the Holy Cross is clearly Catholic in name only after allowing Planned Parenthood into its halls.

You can sign the protest here:

http://www.tfp.org/student_action/activities/protests/holy_cross_abortion_groups.htm