Friday, September 15, 2023

On the Writing Process and Overcoming Senioritis

 





My youngest is now a senior in high school, and I plan on enjoying every second of it! I confess, I experienced a sort of midlife crisis last year, as I realized my children soon will have all flown the nest. For a few months, I felt weighed down by an undefined sadness. I missed the days when my children needed me - even while remembering those moments when I had felt overwhelmed by the sense of always being needed.

I started to panic about the fact that I have yet to publish a novel – something I would like to do before she goes to college. A children’s fantasy novel I had been working on for seven years had been rejected shortly after my fiftieth birthday. I received positive feedback, but the nature of the changes the editor was asking for would require going back to the drawing board, something I just did not have the heart to do at the time. So, I decided to shelve it for a while and work on some short stories. Around the new year, a sudden sense of urgency welled up within me. I felt as if, if I failed to publish a book, I would literally die.

“I know God gave me a gift of writing, and I know I was called to write ‘Theresa and the Diamond Castle’ (inspired by St. Therese’s ‘Interior Castle’), I said to a friend. “So why would he have me work on it for seven years, if it wasn’t meant to go out into the world?”

She replied, “Maybe it’s all about the process.” Yes, I do believe the process is what life is all about, but I still feel that my light should be up on a hill, not covered by a bushel.

After a few children’s book manuscripts were rejected, I decided to try my hand at a romance novel. I found a specific ‘inspirational romance’ line that asked for Christian characters, preferably living in a small town, with a focus on the development of the couple’s relationship. This seemed like the perfect exercise following the rejection of Theresa. You see, I had written that book without an outline, following wherever my mind took me, so that once I had written 45,000 words, it became extremely cumbersome to weave together into one cohesive narrative.

Romance is written following a specific format of ‘beats’: boy meets girl, there are obstacles to their relationship, they overcome them, and the book ends with the promise of a happily-ever-after. I started to outline the book, then wrote the first few chapters. I soon found that my heroine came alive to me – like when I had been writing about Theresa, I thought of her day and night. Interestingly, as her sister’s character developed, I started to think about a future romance centered on her. I had calculated that by writing 500 words per day, I could have the book finished within three months. By February, I was indeed half done, but then life got in the way. Family visited. My son graduated college and moved to Texas. There were family illnesses. I had to let the book go until June.

In August, I was almost done, when I found two critique partners. Chapter by chapter, we helped each other to fine tune our manuscripts. But this process was too slow for me. I had set my birthday as my deadline, and I wanted to get onto the next book. I submitted the book and started on the next one.

As the publisher asked for a website, I gave them this blog address, then realized how long it had been since my last post. Adding some more content was another task to add onto my growing list.

Within a week of my submission, I received a rejection – with positive feedback. It is a plot problem, and it is something I can fix without fundamentally changing my characters. With my critique partners’ help, I am feeling optimistic that I will have a much-improved manuscript to submit by Christmas.

My days have been flying by. My daughter leaves for school, and I am busy writing, exercising, doing stuff around the house, then all of a sudden, she is home. Busy with my own endeavors, I can enjoy the time she wants to spend with me, without smothering her. I watch with pleasure as she enjoys her senior year. I look forward to what comes next for her – and for me and my husband. I truly do not know what comes next, but there are dreams, possibilities, options.

Echoing Ecclesiastes, my father used to say that we all experience different seasons throughout our lives. At the time, I was in the heart of motherhood, homeschooling three little ones with another on the way, and every moment was devoted to caring for them. Like summer cooling into fall, that season is drawing to its close. The leaves are falling off the trees, but the spring will bring new ones, with blossoms. In the meantime, I can enjoy the beautiful transformation as the leaves change color and drift away, some closer and some farther, as the wind may blow.

Ecclesiastes 3, selected verses (New American Standard Bible)

3 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every matter under heaven—

9 What benefit is there for the worker from that in which he labors? 10 I have seen the task which God has given the sons of mankind with which to occupy themselves.

11 He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, without the possibility that mankind will find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.

12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime; 13 moreover, that every person who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor—this is the gift of God.

22 I have seen that nothing is better than when a person is happy in his activities, for that is his lot. For who will bring him to see what will occur after him?

No comments: