Sunday, August 30, 2009

Firstfruits


As I read the second reading in church this morning, it seemed the perfect words for me on my birthday. I was not planning on writing today, but it reminded me that I had something planned for this week. You see, last winter I prepared a week's worth of brief devotionals as a sample to send to a Catholic publisher of daily devotionals. I picked this week's readings because it started with my birthday. It was rejected by them, so you will get it for free. Look for six more brief devotionals to go with the daily readings this week.

“He willed to give us birth by the word of truth that we may be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” James 1:18

To the ancients, the firstfruits were the earliest grains, symbolizing the genesis of an abundant harvest. The Creator only gives what is good and perfect, wanting His people to have a fruitful life. God gives us His Word that we might have both Truth and Life. When we accept his Gospel message as Truth, we are reborn, becoming the firstfruits of His Word. When we incorporate the Gospel into our way of life, we become a living testimony to the goodness God wants for us. When others see that we are content and peaceful, they might ask, “What is your secret?” Through His grace you will then have the courage to give credit where it belongs. If you know God’s Word, you will have an answer ready that will glorify Him.

Prayer: “Help me to be a living example of your Word.”



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: