Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Little Lover of the Rosary

My littlest one, now 2 ½, is already a great lover of the rosary. We went to the church to pray the rosary this Thursday during the March for Life. My friend’s three-year-old was sitting next to her. I gave my daughter a rosary, which she put around her neck. She then proceeded to collect everyone else’s rosaries.

First she went to her little friend, putting her hand out and saying “Peeeeeez” (please) until she relinquished her rosary. This she put around her neck with the other.

After she got mine, I thought she would be happy. But she then saw my friend’s rosary. I warned my friend not to give in to her, but she soon surrendered hers as well.

When it was my turn to lead the prayer, my friend gave me another rosary from her stash to help me keep count. This also was taken. (From time to time I straightened out all her rosaries to make sure they were in a safe position.)

By the time we had finished, my daughter had about ten rosaries around her neck, and we were all counting decades on our fingers!

The Virgin and Child with a Rosary is one of Bartolome Murillo's most beloved works. It was painted in 1650 and is part of the permanent collection at the Museo del Prado, Madrid, Spain.

1 comment:

Loren said...

By exposing her to the rosary, you're giving her a powerful gift that reinforces the moral virtue: fortitude.