Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Woes of Dial-Up Internet

Happily, I now have DSL!

I wrote this paragraph during the week before the primaries. . .

Normally, I try to do all my internet work after-hours. That is, after telephone calls are normally received. Today I was doing make-up work with my fourth grader, who missed school due to a cold on Friday. I discovered she had to do an online project, which was due on Monday. So I went online at 4:00 in the afternoon on a Friday. This was an extremely bad time to be using the telephone line, as election calls were coming in quite frequently. Every time I was in the middle of downloading the Power Point template, a little box would pop up saying my connection was being interrupted by a telephone call. Thinking it could be a family member, I would pick up. After repeated election calls, I ignored the telephone interruptions and clicked to resume the connection.

Now, I can blog any time during the day that I am able to get away to the computer. I no longer have to stretch a fifty-foot telephone cord from my computer to my bedroom. I no longer have to be afraid of missing an important telephone call, or be annoyed at a caller for interrupting my internet connection. I am so thankful for this little luxury!

No comments: